Funding for Training

< Back to People

Funding for training from Government is not usually paid to you directly. The government pays Colleges and other training providers to run particular types of qualifications and training because they know that improving skills will help businesses grow.  Additional training schemes are sometimes developed locally using EU funds and are free for the same reason.

Is it all free? 

No. Some training is your statutory or legal duty as an employer to provide and it will not be paid for or subsidised by Government, for example manual handling, health & safety, food hygiene. Some training will be subsidised, so the training provider will pay half of the cost and you must pay the rest.


What is available now?


Skills Support to the Workforce
Fully funded training for your staff is currently available to help you grow your business. Calderdale College is managing the programme and a number of Colleges and training providers are delivering the training.  A large range of training is available, and providers can create a bespoke training experience where possible to meet your business needs.  To find out if the training you want is eligible to be delivered completely free of charge call 0845 644 3753 or find our more here.   All training through this scheme will need to be completed by March 2019.  

Specialist Skills Advisor Programme
If you are having difficulty finding the training you need, you can speak to a specialist skills advisor, who will meet with you to look at your long-term skills needs, and higher-level skills needs. They will help you put a plan in place, develop relationships with local Colleges or providers who may be able to develop training programmes for you in the future. They will give you practical help, conduct a skills analysis, and in some cases up to 12 hours of support. Bishop Grosseteste University are managing this programme and have a number of skills and sector specialists who can help. Call 01522 563865 to find out more. Practical support through this scheme must be completed by March 2019. 


Both of these schemes are funded through the European Social Fund. 

You can also contact your local College or training provider directly to find out what training is available through usual Government funding. Furthermore, have a look at the Training Your Workforce brochure give direction on where it is on the page] to get some ideas.  Or you can contact a Growth Hub Advisor who can provide impartial advice about business growth.

Lincolnshire County Council runs a learning programme for anyone wishing to enhance their skills through a short course.  This is not just for employers and employees. Click here to access that website.

If you want to understand in detail about the type of training that Government funds Click here.

Share it