The Great British High Streets Awards offers the chance to celebrate local achievements on high streets across Great Britain and Northern Ireland. For the first time, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy will also be holding a High Streets Week, 16-22 July.
Entrants to the awards are in with a chance to win up to £10,000 to spend on their community, plus on-the-ground support and events from the campaign and street teams.
There is also the opportunity for retailers, small businesses and the public to participate in a spend and win competition supported by Visa (the lead sponsor).
How can you get involved?
- Encourage your local high street (and those in your patch) to enter via http://thegreatbritishhighstreet.co.uk/
- Encourage your local MPs to visit the dedicated MP microsite: https://thegreatbritishhighstreet.co.uk/
What are the categories?
- Winners will be named in each of the four UK nations – England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- There are two categories: Champion High Street, which will recognise the nation’s best high streets, and the Rising Star category which will recognise the nation’s most ambitious high streets, places which are taking the lead and working together to regenerate, adapt and diversify.
- An overall High Street of the Year in Great Britain and Northern Ireland will also be named.
- 20 June – Great British High Street Awards Launch
- W/c 16 July – The ‘Great British High Street Week’
- 15 August – Entries close
- 10 September – Shortlist announced
- 31 October – Voting close and judges’ visits
- November – Winners announced at awards ceremony
Who can apply?
- Business Improvement Districts
- Local Councils
- Parish Councils
- Town Teams
- Coastal Community Teams
- Town Centre Partnerships
- Community Interest Companies
- Chambers of Commerce
- Trading Associations